[Dshield] spam-maker program

Bill McCarty bmccarty at pt-net.net
Thu Feb 26 08:08:55 GMT 2004

Hi Buzz and list,

--On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 5:06 PM -0500 Buzz <info at 4201.com> wrote:

>   Some time ago while searching for an alternative email client (which I
> found) I stumbled across a program that generates Mass Mailings.  It
> sounded interesting so I downloaded it - installed it -- and found that
> it was actually a spam generator program.  It is quite extensive - claims
> to forge the headers, etc ...

For the benefit of the unwary, I'd like to point out that spamming tools
are intended to circumvent both law and social norms. It should therefore
come as no surprise that their authors often equip them with malware of
various types, including Trojan horses. So, folks who download send-safe
and other spam-related software do so at their peril. I wouldn't recommend
that those unaccustomed to working with hazardous software take any of
these toys out for a drive, except perhaps on a throw-away PC not connected
to a network. Just my $0.02 <g>.

Cheers,