[Dshield] spam-maker program

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Thu Feb 26 20:35:25 GMT 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Buzz wrote:
> Subject: [Dshield] spam-maker program

>   Some time ago while searching for an alternative email client (which I found) I stumbled across a program that generates Mass Mailings.  It sounded interesting so I downloaded it - installed it -- and found that it was actually a spam generator program.  It is quite extensive - claims to forge the headers, etc ...
>
> I tested it a little for curiousity but not being a spammer found little use for it beyond a better understanding of how spam can work.  I uninstalled the program but kept the original download.
>
> The program's called send-safe.exe (1,855,635 bytes) and I didn't keep track of where I got it.  Some web site that popped up in a search for email clients.

There's alot of these, I've got one or two on some disk some place. You
can actually go to web sites that, for lack of a better term, "stock"
spammers with the garbage they use to spam people. Some article had a list
of them, and I visited them. I was shock to see that yeah, they really did
promote spamming- and of course, at the botton of the page it had some BS
disclaimer about them hating spam and being against it, claiming their
tools were really for legit purposes (like what I don't know). There's
books spammers can buy & order. On one website a came across, one spammer
was complaining to another in a forum about how spamming is getting to be
harder for them. This guy was complaining because he'd spam someone, then
the person would Nmap him, mail his ISP, and his ISP's upstream provider.
I thought to myself 'Way to go!', so now I take the time and report most
all of the spam I get (it's not much at all that makes it thru), because I
know it IS working, even if it's not readily apparent.

%jayjwa%  RLF#37    "Gnu for ALL. SCO Never."
xNewb: "Plz! I can't make GUI in my startx-
him say 'No Screens Found!' I use RedHat..
plz help Kind Sir what wrong my "Linux"?!