[Dshield] spam-maker program

Bob Savage bsavage at rnr-inc.com
Thu Feb 26 21:17:28 GMT 2004

Let me start by saying that spam makes me as angry as it does everyone else.

However, here's the situation I struggled with a while back:

We are a small company selling a line of products wholesale to about 75 medium to large sized customers.  Late last year our sales VP wanted to send a promotional email to all of them; he wanted the "from" to show his name; he wanted a product picture in the body of the email; and he wanted a spreadsheet attached.  We spent several days talking about how to get this accomplished and experimenting with the tools we had on hand.  I finally searched the web and found a little program that I'm sure is commonly used by spammers.  Our contract artist put the email and the picture together in an HTML format and I sent it with the free software I found on the web.  It did the trick for us, and we used it again a few weeks later.  I'm sure he'll want to do it again several times this year.

Our VP's request seemed reasonable to me, but I've never been entirely comfortable with the solution.  What would you have done in my place?

Bob Savage