[Dshield] Microsoft claims hackers exploit Windows patches

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Thu Feb 26 21:44:19 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 13:09, Jon R. Kibler wrote:
> Microsoft is claiming that hackers do not find security holes in Windows... rather they wait until Microsoft publishes a patch, then reverse engineer the patch to find out how to exploit the security weakness.
> 	http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3485972.stm

I posted a link to this on the Incidents list which has spawned a ton of
private replies. In digging up some info for one of the responders, I
ran across the following link regarding RFC 3514, AKA "The evil bit":

http://www.research.att.com/~smb/3514.html

Make sure you read the very last response that Steven has listed. ;-)