[Dshield] Wireless networks and corporate Lans

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Sun Feb 29 19:38:37 GMT 2004

Pete,

I should add that with Windows XP you can configure the wireless
interface so that it will ONLY associate with preferred networks, that
is one which you have configured  for access if you are using the
Wireless Zero Configuration client. Also, if you have a recently
purchased Access Point and client NIC cards then you can upgrade them to
Wireless Protected Access (WPA) in either pre-shared key mode (for small
networks without a Radius server) or in the case of Microsoft OS based
networks EAP-TLS or PEAP MSCHAPv2 authentication. Using either method
will assure you that you will not associate with and authenticate to an
unintended Access Point. I have a paper submitted to SANS GIAC on the
subject of WPA in Microsoft networks which you may find useful in your
own project. Please let me know off list and I will forward you a draft.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International