[Dshield] On the rumor mill...

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Thu Jan 1 00:06:07 GMT 2004

Well, in a few hours the "Can Spam Act" goes into effect. What a waste of tax payer's money! But lets not even go there...

One of the effects of the act that I predicted last fall, when the bill was still under discussion, was that U.S. based spammers would simply move their operations offshore -- just like they did Internet gambling when Congress outlawed it. Well, apparently that move is already under way.

Yesterday, I was speaking to a security expert with one of the major Canadian ISPs. He indicated that in a recent local Help Wanted ad, a company (suspected spam organization) was advertising for a position for a computer security, spam, and virus expert for work in Costa Rica -- at $150K (US) per year. We both agreed that it sounded like they were looking for someone to write spamware and spamiruses.

And so it begins...

Happy new year, y`all! Looks like its going to be a fun one!

Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA