[Dshield] Drop off in attacks

Benjamin Robson Benjamin.Robson at securedatagroup.com.au
Fri Jan 2 03:01:14 GMT 2004

Happy New Year to you all.

Has anyone else noticed an extreme drop off in the number of 'blocked'
packets at their firewall (from the Internet)?

I have a firewall here that would normally show a cycle of blocked
packets, oscillating between a high and low point over a 24 hour period.
However starting at about midnight GMT+11 I have observed a very
significant drop in the blocked packet rate such that now, some 32 hours
later, the blocked packet rate is about a quarter what it was.

Has anyone seen a similar effect?

I have 3 lines of thought that might explain this:
	1.	People have been switching off their (infected) machines
for the New Years holiday.
	2.	Script kiddies take the NY holidays as well.
	3.	Various virii & worms are expiring at midnight
31-12-2003.

Thoughts/Comments?

Regards all,
BenR.

Benjamin M.A. Robson
Senior Security Consultant
Secure Data Group P/L

Come and visit the Fishbowl, Australia's Largest Vendor Independent Interoperability Lab, where you can see live working solutions on show.
Click here for workshop dates
www.securedatagroup.com.au/events

Did you know that SecureData Group delivers high security Offsite Tape Storage services, via
their DataBank Division? - visit www.databanktech.com.au for more information, or speak to your Account Manager.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient
(or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
This e-mail has been swept for the presence of computer viruses known to SecureData Group's virus patterns.