[Dshield] Rise in UCE

Michael Leone loki at psu.edu
Sun Jan 4 16:25:23 GMT 2004

well I don't have any figures to back anything up. But I have a Penn State
Email account which I use for almost everything. But PSU is too cheap to
put up any sort of good anti-spam solutions. Most every other isp I have
either used, owned, or worked with has had some sort of spam filter. I see,
however, more of a ratio every day from the ratio of real emails to junk mail.

I would say back in January 2003 I would get 2 spam messages for every 80
normal e-mail message per day (checked every ten minutes).
By August 2003, I would get 15 for every 80 normal e-mail messages.
By this month I am receiving 7 spam messages for every 3 normal e-mails.

90% for pornography, 10% for illegal drugs.

I will definitely try Netscape 7.1 for E-mail - Anybody else have any
ideas? I wish the Netgear's and Linksys' had spam-blocking Soho routers.