[Dshield] Signature-based defense in '03/'04

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 19:36:46 GMT 2004

Greetings all,

Just a quick question for everyone.

Considering the events of the past year (malware trends, exploits, hacktivity, etc.) and predictions for 2004, how would you rate the performance of your intrusion-detection system?  What's your opinion on signature-based defense versus anomaly-detection-based defense?  How much faith are you putting into your system in the new year?

At the moment I am trying to convince my employer that it is worth the time & money expenditure to add an anomaly-detection system or hybrid system, citing propagation speeds and shorter vulnerability-to-exploit time witnessed in '03.  Any opinions?

Thanks much,

Pete