[Dshield] Rise in UCE

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Tue Jan 6 20:49:14 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 22:15, JD wrote:

> yea - this crap is getting out of hand.  How can we pressure the ISP's
> to crack down on people stupid enough to open attachments?

Good luck. Subscribe to the NANOG mailing list or check the archives and
be very afraid. Most feel its not their problem and when they do step up
to the plate, they either act like black hats or break things horribly.

I used to think the best place to control this was at the ISP level.
After seeing some of the deployments, we would be better off if they
left it to the end user.

Of course responding to _local_ abuse reports in some fashion that keeps
their clients from spreading viruses to the rest of us would be cool,
but we're not a revenue stream for them. ;-)