[Dshield] DShield vs. Symantec

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 15:52:58 GMT 2004

So, I've got this salesman from Symantec attempting to sell me (or, rather, the organization for which I work) a subscription to their DeepSight Threat Management System.

For those of you who are not familar with DeepSight, basically Symantec's analysts take data from about 20k contributors in 180 countries (IDS logs, traffic data, etc.) and perform trend analysis (sound familiar?).  I suppose this question is directed mostly towards Johannes...as far as being a data source...how does dShield stack up against those numbers?

Also...for anyone familiar with DeepSight, or using their services, how useful have you found them to be?  Worth the money or not?  Do they provide anything which you are unable to do yourself?

Thanks,

Pete