[Dshield] DShield vs. Symantec

john beck jbeck80 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 17:18:04 GMT 2004

It is not fair to try to compare the two, I am proposing both to my
superiors.  In regards to reporting and remediation I do this.  At minimum,
I suggest using Dshield for reporting, statistics and remediation (unless
you take pleasure in sending fightback letters).  I suggest it to any
business that has internet connectivity (what else are you going to do with
the firewall logs?).  If your business "host" anything, especially
e-commerce, it would be wise to use a managed service to monitor and
remediate in real time (blocking attacking subnets, etc) and use the dshield
(instead of managed service) to relieve the cost of fightback, use collected
data to double-check the managed service, let the service do the real-time
issues and alerts (I don't think Johannes is going to call anyone at 3am to
alert).  FYI, there is going to be a huge surge in managed security services
(verisign just bought some big manage service company) In one case of
firewall/IDS/IPS (powerwall) they package the managed service to maintain in
real-time.  The critical thing is "who" you are letting manage your security
(symantec has stringent hiring process).  Dshield does not do anything to
your network, it is a reporting tool, where managed services will be "in
your network devices" changing config or rules as needed in real time.
Another way to look at it, if you can't afford managed services, you can at
least setup Dshield while you wait for next budget.

If you like my advertising, please send Dshield monogrammed formal wear for
I am an under appreciated (paid) security guru, now if they would upgrade my
etch-i-sketch to a laptop I will have it made:)

John (2¢)