[Dshield] NAV problems question

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:28:24 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 13:52, Paul Marsh wrote:
> Below is an explanation as to why NAV was/is having issues today.  Can
> some one please enlighten me as to why NAV would be having a problem
> because of Verisign Cert.

Probably because NAV uses an SSL connection back to Symantec to check
something-or-other, and Symantec hasn't updated the cert on their server
to one that isn't expired (or, rather, one that is signed by a cert that
isn't expired). NAV sees the expired cert in the authentication chain
and tries to contact the CRL server (along with everyone else in the
world), thus the l-o-n-g d-e-l-a-y-s trying to start NAV.

Symantec can fix it by updating the cert on whatever server of theirs
that NAV is trying to contact.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
 If you smash a computer to bits with a mallet, that appears to count