[Dshield] Does 207.115.129.30 ring any bell?

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Fri Jan 9 02:58:13 GMT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Dan wrote:

> Well I would like to mention a couple of things.  First Compaq's have a
> program installed called BackWeb, it is so Compaq people can get into your
> system and fix problems when you call for support (in theory anyway).  And
> spybot S&D will mention it and allow you to remove it.

That's awful! How could a company release a system with a KNOWN backdoor
in it and have a clear concious about it, regardless of the intention?

> As regard to programs hiding in the process list, oh yes they can.  I would
> suggest getting something like processviewer (which is free and preaty good)
> and will show you a LOT more than standard windows98 viewer will. You might
> be able to track it down then if it is not BackWeb.

"Fresh UI" & Fresh Diagnose  from FreshDevices were neat for seeing stuff
of this nature, plus they show alot of other not-so-visible happenings as
well. Freeware, updated regularly. Windows platform. I may still have a
copy laying around the ftp server someplace...

[jayjwa]RLF #37