[Dshield] RBL black listing legitimate servers

YevetteM yevettem at gsmt.com
Fri Jan 9 23:22:14 GMT 2004

We received the following Bulletin today from Alt-N(MDaemon) regarding
or.orbl.org -

<snip>
It has come to our attention today that one of the Realtime Blackhole Lists
(RBL) that your MDaemon may be using is experiencing ongoing operational
problems causing it to black list legitimate servers.  This problem is
similar in some ways to the problems that the Osirusoft RBL service
experienced last year.

Depending on how it is configured, your MDaemon might be setup to use these
free RBL services; as a result, your MDaemon might be refusing to accept
mail from legitimate sources.

To address this problem, perform the following step as noted on our
Knowledge Base Article # KBA-01528
(http://www.altn.com/support/knowledge_base.asp?product_id=MDaemon)

Repeated problems with free RBL service providers are fueling controversy
over their role in combating the ever-worsening spam problem.  To prevent
future RBL related problems from impacting the acceptance of legitimate
email by your MDaemon, be sure to configure the Spam Blocker to 'Flag
messages from blacklisted sites but go ahead and accept them'.  You will
find this option within the Spam Blocker settings.
</snip>

Just thought I would pass this on. I have been unable to find any additional
information regarding this issue.

-Yevette