[Dshield] A few strange exe's

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Mon Jan 12 04:42:12 GMT 2004

This is one of my hobbies.  I have learned you can't just rely on Norton AV
alone when dealing with a strange PC.  An updated Norton is an excellent
way of preventing an infection, but once the infection has set in, Norton
checks sometimes don't react to some strings.  Likewise some target the
Norton itself.  With a clean machine and a dial up connection make up some
disks containing the 12 more common downloadable Symantec solutions.
FixKlez, FixBugbear, etc. Use the online virus Symantec check to determine
which repair disk to load and run.  Remember (a txt file on the disk as a
reminder helps) which ones should be run as an exe and which ones as a cmd
depending on what kind of system you are dealing with.  Turn off System
Restore before scanning if dealing with an XP first.  Get AVG (free)
installed on the victim machine.  There is no downside to this as the
updates are free and AVG finds some indicators Norton misses (the reverse
is also true).  Run the AVG and clean up what it finds.  Consisder running
BoClean or TDS to get some nasties the others ignore.  This only brings you
halfway home.  Some viruses can destroy vital system files or corrupt them
so they should be destroyed.  A new system install disk (win 95, 98, XP or
whatever) is an important part of your toolkit (you should also have the
convert verison of the same disks which might be needed, depending on the
history of the victim system).  Use the proper install disk to replace
corrupt or missing system files.  Load and run the appropriate service pack
disks (you did bring/do have them too I hope?).  At this time there doesn't
seem to be a way of getting the 4 megabyte patch for the Blaster Nachia RPC
vulnerabilities without going on line (unless you have a Zip drive).  Why
MS won't make that patch smaller or available in small 1 meg chunks so it
can be installed on older PCs with a 3.5 without going on line, I don't
know.  The act of going online to get the patch exposes you to the Nachia
Blaster worms.  (Had one I worked on get infected that way (i.e., while
attempting to get the patch) with Nachia just yesterday.)  Crazy I know.
The good news is the patch can be saved to a zip drive, so if the machine
you are cleaning has a zip, patching without going on line is possible.
The latest free ZoneAlarm is too big to fit on a 3.5 disk, so you have to
go online for that too (again a Zip drive on the target machine can
eliminate some risk).  Installing NIS as a first firewall also won't help,
as it too has to go online to get the RPC patch instructions and all of the
updates (about 20 megs).  I say go for it, install a current AVG then scan,
then take a chance and get the MS patch first before worrying about the
firewall.  If you get hit, the AVG offers some protection.  The download
usually stops and the system tries to reboot so remember to scan and clean
again before (and after) rebooting.  Once the system is Blaster patched you
can deal with the other 15 megs of critical MS updates and firewall setup
installation problems.  A patched firewall is little protection if the
system remains vulnerable to whatever slides by.  Are all your MS critical
patches up to date?  Fine, rescan with Symantec online and kill whatever
crept in while you were getting the MS critical patch online.  Reinstall
any corrupted system files.  Put your firewall on.  Update it.  Write the
rules you want.  Quick test at GRC.com  Delete AVG, reboot and reinstall
AVG and run it. Redo the TDS/boclean too.  It has been 3 days since you
began, is the system clean of nasties yet?  Turn system restore back on if
you haven't yet.  How about the mail files?  Did you check them yet?  Virus
attachements in stored mail folders (especially in Netscape) sometimes
escape casual virus scans as mail folders are sometimes ignored or password
protected (etc.) and can deny access to the AV, so do a specific check of
stored mail files.  Both Norton and AVG can sit in memory at the same time
without a conflict.  TDS 3, AdAware and Reg Protect (from the TDS people)
can also squeeze in there without too many problems.