[Dshield] SMTP DNS record question

Richard Roy RoyR at justicetrax.com
Mon Jan 12 16:42:42 GMT 2004

This may be a bit OT so I apologize ahead of time for that.  Moderators,
if you have the answer and don't want to post it to list then just reply
with answer.

I am working to debug why I am having difficulties sending to a customer
email.  I have implemented a new firewall, and spam blocker, and have
yet to be able to point to either as the root of the problem.  So for
grins, I went to www.dnsstuff.com and did a querry on them.  They have 3
MX records, MX0, MX1, MX2 all with different hosts and IP addresses.
The weird thing is that all 3 have the same preference 10.  Is that
possibly the root of the problem.  I get a lot of mail to that domain
marked undeliverable and that the message has exceeded the time limit
specified.  If that is the problem, does anyone know of a reliable
source I can quote to explain what needs to be fixed without looking
like I don't know what I am talking about?

Thanks.

Richard Roy
Network Administrator
JusticeTrax Inc