[Dshield] Spam Problem

Brad Spencer brad.madison at mail.tds.net
Mon Jan 12 16:47:14 GMT 2004

At 08:04 AM 1/12/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>Or you could get real sneaky and mail them a webbug }:-]
>Worth a shot, no?

I get my "sneaky" kicks out of looking like an open relay when I'm
not.  Letting their test message go through (there's an analogous thing you
can do for a proxypot) is _very_ sneaky.  They think they're taking
advantage of a fool that is still running an open relay.  Turns out they're
the fools: they're sending spam to a spam sink.  For proxypots in
particular many do it from their own IPs.  Boom!  There went their anonymity.