[Dshield] Spam Problem

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Mon Jan 12 18:31:14 GMT 2004

man, 12.01.2004 kl. 17.22 skrev Jon R. Kibler:

> Actually, the address is not really reserved for IANA use per se... Rather, it is one of the 3 netblocks specified by RFC 1918 for private address space. (The 3 netblocks being: 192.168/16, 172.16/12, and 10/8.)
>
> When you see an RFC 1918 address as part of a Received: email header, it means that the mail server is a multi-homed system (has multiple network interfaces) and the email originated from a system on the local network of that mail server.
>
> Furthermore, it is not possible for a system with an RFC 1918 address to connect to your system as RFC 1918 addresses are not routable on the Internet. Yes, a host can forge an originating address that is in private address space, but there is no way to send a response back to that host. Thus, you can never complete a TCP connection over the Internet with such a host.

Source routing. But my 2.6.0 kernel should be proof against that, with
my iptables rules (actually someone else's with my mods - I wish he'd
have put his ref. in the rules).

I wonder how many Windows machines (of any sort) have any way of
configuring this sort of out-of-the-box firewall? My XP Prof. certainly
doesn't - or does it?

> Hope this helps.

Certainly jogged my memory ;)

--Tonni