[Dshield] RE: SMTP DNS record question

YevetteM yevettem at gsmt.com
Mon Jan 12 19:23:34 GMT 2004

Richard,

I used the DNSStuff website to look up your mail server. (I hope this is the
one you are trying to send from in your email). Could it be that the problem
is not with them at all but with your side? (Specifically the missing PTR
record?) Check out that DNSStuff returned:

<snip>
Reverse DNS entries for MX records	 ERROR: One or more of your mail
server(s) have no reverse DNS (PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it
may mean that your DNS servers did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1
says you should have a reverse DNS for all your mail servers. It is strongly
urged that you have them, as many mailservers will not accept mail from
mailservers with no reverse DNS entry. You can double-check using the
'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff <http://www.dnsstuff.com/>  site.
The problem MX records are:
3.227.213.66.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0)]

Mail	 FAIL	 Connect to mail servers	 ERROR: I could not connect
to one or more of your mailservers:
ERROR: corpmail.justicetrax.com Greeting indicates server is down: 421 SMTP
service not available, closing transmission channel .
corpmail.justicetrax.com: Connection closed before I received all my data
(state 2). Your mailserver disconnected before it was done! This may be the
result of a non-RFC-compliant mailserver or anti-spam program.
</snip>

Hope that helps -

Yevette