[Dshield] System compromise rates

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 17:07:42 GMT 2004

Greetings all,

I have been tasked with analysing historical trends in malware--discovery rates, longevity, pervasiveness, payload, etc.--and it occurs to me that a similar analysis might be conducted on system compromises...e.g. time and date of compromise, source attributes, target attributes, what was done, and so forth.

Does anyone know if such data exist?  If so, where?

Pete

Chris Brenton <cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org> wrote:
On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 09:12, David Sentelle wrote:
> My mail (poor) program won't let me neatly comment inline, my
> apologies.

Ya I hope Novell does not screw up Ximian the same way. ;-)

> You still need to be aware that those addresses ARE routable, but
> should not be allowed inside from outside & vice-versa.

I think this is the point that people miss. Internet routing will not
route _to_ a private address. This does not however stop you from
receiving traffic _from_ a private address.

HTH,