[Dshield] Spam Problem

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 13 15:44:04 GMT 2004

man, 12.01.2004 kl. 21.12 skrev Brad Spencer:

> >By "dropbox" I suppose you mean "reply address", as given by an
> >intellectually handicapped spammer. Or one who imagines he's nothing to
> >lose. Analogy would be where spies "drop" their data. Though that's
> >stretching the analogy a bundle.
>
> No, in this case I mean the addressee.  The spammer sends himself a message
> (or tries) through a candidate open relay IP.  If it gets through he
> concludes "I found an open relay."  The address to which he sends is what
> I'm calling the dropbox address.
>
> I'm browsing through my collection: here's the one I'm looking at now:

Tremendously interesting, Brad - thanks. Just subscribed to the list ad
there are several eye-opener threads.

On what you wrote, would the spammer be decoding with
software/automatically (I suppose that obviously he would) or manually?

--Tonni

--
mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl