[Dshield] Spam Problem

Brad Spencer brad.madison at mail.tds.net
Tue Jan 13 21:48:28 GMT 2004

At 04:44 PM 1/13/2004 +0100, you wrote:

>On what you wrote, would the spammer be decoding with
>software/automatically (I suppose that obviously he would) or manually?

I'd say automatically.  At one time I even knew a web page that described
the spamware package and laid out how a beginning spammer did it: step 1,
step 2, etc.  The relay test program automatically generates the encoded
header and body and puts those in the transmitted email, the receiving
program surely decodes the encoded strings and makes a list of open relay
IP numbers.   I've sometimes wondered about sending fake test messages
(with a honeypot IP encoded in them) to the dropbox to see if that fools
them - but I've never done it.  It would be funny (ha ha) if it did.