[Dshield] Adware...malware?

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 23:15:04 GMT 2004

Greetings all,

Has anyone considered the possibility of system compromise due to adware/spyware?  ...By "considered" I of course mean, has anyone looked into the extent of the vulnerability and the possible damage which could be done?

Keystroke logging comes to mind automatically, as does usage tracking...

But I was unaware until just recently that some (e.g. Gator) can install and execute arbitrary code (for "updates").  On the networks I monitor a great problem is Kazaa usage (which violates multiple user agreements)...Kazaa comes packaged with Gator...I am seeing problems...

Anyone else?

Pete