[Dshield] Contacting ISP's to report hack attempts - any luck ?

Chuck Lewis clewis at iquest.net
Wed Jan 14 12:48:39 GMT 2004

Hi Folks,

We have been running one of the original "appliances" (remember them from
1998) for email (it can do all KINDS of other stuff.)  It runs Linux and has
been very reliable. We have all kinds of stuff on it to harden it against
intrusion.

As part of that we get alerts on "attacks" and it shows them rejected but
also reports the IP addresses and domains.

Take your pick; it ranges from a good sample of well known ISP to very
obscure ones.

I report this to everyone that I can figure out how to (and this should NOT
be so hard but I swear some of them don't want to hear from you) and I never
hear anything back. Well, that's not quite true. I reported it via email to
one and got an auto response that my incident had been logged and gave me an
incident #. Then a little while latter I get another email saying you cannot
submit an incident that way. REAL impressive !

Thoughts, suggestions, etc ?

Thanks !

Chuck