[Dshield] Spamhouse now listing exploited IPs in new blocklist

Kenton Smith ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com
Wed Jan 14 17:00:03 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 06:16, Stephane Grobety wrote:
> [To the moderator: if it is off-topic, please do not hesitate to
> drop this message, just drop me a notice you did so]
>
> I just noticed that SpamHaus has released a new RBL containing a list
> of IPs that are know to be "exploited" in some way: Open proxy,
> mass-mailer virus, etc.
> (http://www.spamhaus.org/news.lasso?article=151)

<snip>
This may be my ignorance of blacklists showing here, so please correct
me if I'm wrong. Doesn't a black list just affect servers trying to send
mail? If a home user's machine gets compromised and is being used to
send spam, it gets blacklisted. Once the person fixes their machine,
their IP is no longer going to be the source of the email, correct? When
an average home user sends mail they aren't using their own personal
SMTP server, they're using their ISP's mail server which (hopefully)
isn't blacklisted.
Is there a use for a blacklist that I'm missing here?

Kenton