[Dshield] Personal Firewall Day

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 14:48:48 GMT 2004

Keith,

the personal firewall site looks helpful but it puzzles me as to why
Mcafee would be singled out from the rest. In fact my own experience
with their combined a/v & Firewall product (Mcafee Virusscan Pro 7.0 +
Firewall 4.0) has been frustrating in comparison with Symantec's similar
product (Norton Internet Security 2003). As a consequence of the
problems I have had with Mcafee's product, I set the product to NOT
automaitcally install signature file updates but to notify me that they
are available. Then I use the Microsoft Windows XP system restore
service to create a restore point just PRIOR to directing the Mcafee
software to install the new a/v/ signature files. That way if the Mcafee
update process corrupts, as it sometimes seems to do, a critical OS
component/registry setting, then I can recover using the restore point I
had just created.  The downside of course is if I miss the little icon
flashing that signals that a new signature file is available (which icon
I only see when logged on with administrator priveleges) then I may not
get the latest a/v signature file updates for a few days (or until I
notice it) and thereby be at higher risk of  contamination.

In the last year I  have had, I would say, ~1 our of 10 such failures
with the Mcafee product where I actually had to perform the system
restore after completing the signature file update. From checking
Mcafee's user forum threads I have confirmed that I am not the only
customer who has experienced this phenom. For this reason I always
recommend Symantec over Mcafee. Since both suppliers seem to come out
with new product versions at least once a year, it is possible (likely I
hope) that Mcafee has fixed this little gem of a product flaw with their
new release.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad