[Dshield] ISPs - How much monitoring is enough?

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Sun Jan 18 16:42:43 GMT 2004

I fail to see any legal justification for an ISP to scan/or attempt access
to a customers machine without a specific consent.  From my perspective it
is exactly the same as hiring a courier to deliver your mail from the mail
box to the post office and back (or a gardener to mow your lawn), then one
day catching that person trying to peek in your windows at the back of the
house or try your doors.  Another analogy would be an owner of a small home
in the center of someone else's property who uses the large owners driveway
to access the smaller owner's property.  Again, upon discovering the large
property owner entering curtilage and peering in windows and trying doors,
guess who is going to quickly be arrested/sued/fired (if not simply shot)?

Smarter IMHO would be for the ISP to passively monitor what crosses the
borders they control, then contact the owner/customer if there is a problem.