[Dshield] ISPs - How much monitoring is enough?

David Hart DavidHart at TQMcube.com
Sun Jan 18 17:15:29 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 11:42, Kenneth Coney wrote:
> I fail to see any legal justification for an ISP to scan/or attempt access
> to a customers machine without a specific consent.  From my perspective it
> is exactly the same as hiring a courier to deliver your mail from the mail
> box to the post office and back (or a gardener to mow your lawn), then one
> day catching that person trying to peek in your windows at the back of the
> house or try your doors.

Frankly, I wish that more ISPs would scan. If you want to use their smtp
gateway then they have a right to determine if you are an open relay. It
seems to make a great deal more sense than an RBL which can be
cumbersome and arbitrary. What you message fails to address is the issue
of intent. Moreover, consent can be implied from using the ISP's gateway
to distribute your mail.

                               ---------
            Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence