[Dshield] how to take down a 'bot-net' ?

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Sun Jan 18 17:47:58 GMT 2004

I am an Operator on an IRC network, and we have a similar protection scheme.
Usually, these "mirc bot" or bot-net's have open ports. We scan the IP
address to see if any known ports open, and Kline the IP if they are.

Your best bet is to:
1) run an initial antivirus sweep. One of the good ones is called the
Stinger. It is a 1-time antivirus program that should clean your computer.
Stinger is available from Network Associates at
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/. An alternative is this handy online
antivirus scanner from Trend Micro:
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp.
2) Update your computer with the latest patches. I'm assuming you are
running windows. Go to http://www.windowsupdate.com and get and apply all
critical updates.
3) Get a permanent antivirus program that has auto-update features, and keep
it up-to-date.

You can read more about this from this web page that I put up. It is
specific to another virus, but will give you the links.
http://yourattentionneeded.dyndns.org:81

Hope this helps you.

Keith.