[Dshield] ISPs - How much monitoring is enough?

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 18:20:20 GMT 2004

Kernneth,

I don't think any service provider should or does have an automatic
right to scan the computers/ports attached to the service provider's
network. To the contrary, the ISP should be required to obtain explicit
permission via a service level agreement with that customer before
performing scans of the customer's computers/ports. I do think it  could
be a  good service offering for which customers might be willing to pay
a little extra, especially if they can also be alerted if the scan comes
up with anomalies that should be investigated further. Of course, such
service could be optimized to run during slack periods on the ISP's
network to minimize the performance impact of such scans on the overall
ISP service.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International