[Dshield] ISPs - How much monitoring is enough?

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Tue Jan 20 04:16:01 GMT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Kenneth Coney wrote:

> I fail to see any legal justification for an ISP to scan/or attempt access
> to a customers machine without a specific consent....

> ....Smarter IMHO would be for the ISP to passively monitor what crosses
the borders they control, then contact the owner/customer if there is a problem.

You'd think it would be easier and less intrusive too- don't go nosing
around, unless there's good reason. Just randomly going around probing and
scanning and spying on customers creates nothing but PO'ed clients that
will look elsewhere for service- service that respects their privacy. It
appears some ISP's are more into what their customers are doing, and then
you have others that don't care what goes on, as long as the bill gets
paid by someone.

[jayjwa]RLF#37