[Dshield] An Abuse-Free internet organzation

Erwin Van de Velde erwin.vandevelde at ua.ac.be
Tue Jan 20 14:54:50 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 13:55, Elad Almadoi - Xtream Internet Services
wrote:
> Hey guys!
> Due to the increasing ISP's who does not care about abuse coming up from
> users of them, I would like to create an organztion that will be mostly
> contains ISP's and users with servers, so when an ISP wound`t take care of
> her users and her users are abusing _any one_ of our members, after the
> agreemnt of all, all the members in it will block the ISP and forward there
> users to a page explaing why he cant access this server.
> When a user can't go many servers, he will want to change provider - and
> this is NOT something ANY provider will wish, so, if the provider will be
> blocked in many servers they will have to do something about it.
>
> What do you guys think?
> A litle vote: If I had a server, will I've been joining that kind of
> organztion?

When I recently posted a message about using the infoCon status to block some
ports when a new and severe attack was launched, I got lots of messages,
saying that uptime is so important, that even under those heavy conditions
traffic should not be blocked automatically. Now you're proposing to block of
hordes of users, just because one of them has done something 'naughty' what
probably is of no importance to the owner of the server. I'm expecting quite
some 'NO'-yelling now :-)
As long as only a couple of people are doing this, this would not be the way
to go for firms etc. that depend in any way on their websites to make
money...
And as long as they don't join such ISP's there would only be a couple of
people doing this, and so we already close the circle :-)

Greetings,

Erwin Van de Velde
Student of University of Antwerp
Belgium