[Dshield] Acceptable use policy at Telus.net

Kenton Smith ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com
Tue Jan 20 16:54:27 GMT 2004

Telus gets a lot of flak these days for it's cost cutting etc. For some
reason people seem to think that they shouldn't do this while all other
Canadian Telcos do the same thing. However that is very off-topic.
What isn't off-topic however, is that I think Telus has made great
strides in relation to other Canadian ISP's in trying to get user to
become good net citizens. Every ADSL subscriber gets Anti-Virus coverage
(minimal, but better than nothing) free, and I think for $3 or $4 per
month they get firewall services as well. Telling my mom to pay the
extra for the firewall was way cheaper and less time consuming then it
would have been to spend a couple of hours on the phone explaining how
to set one up.
That being said, they are still horribly under staffed, so I'll be
surprised if their response to everyone's abuse requests gets any better
just because they've clarified their AUP. They'll hire more people,
eventually, they can't afford not to.

Kenton