malware (was RE: [Dshield] System compromise rates)

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 17:00:12 GMT 2004

Richard,

I have been using the WildList as a data source for this.

Bruce Hughes of WildList recently released a white paper on this...if I can find the URL I'll let you know.

Meanwhile I have been structuring the data in the WildList, eliminating multiple entries, etc.

I have got 2003 done.  I want to go back as far as possible...I am pretty sure there will be a correlation between the operating systems and software enjoying popularity and the kinds of malware out there, since it is typically parasitic in nature (we wouldn't have win32 worms without win32).

Anyway, if you want I can send you the data...it's in comma-delimited format, ascii text.

Regards,

Pete
Richard Roy <Richard.Roy at justicetrax.com> wrote:
Pete,
I would be interrested in similar data, such as the number of known
virii in the wild, perhaps ordered by what they infect, and how they are
delivered.
I am interrested in the methods of infection particularly