[Dshield] FYI

Coxe, John B. JOHN.B.COXE at saic.com
Fri Jan 23 23:40:52 GMT 2004

They are using the obfuscation du jour in the emails.

http://www.fdic.gov^A@202.63.206.88/index.htm

I am looking to see if this is the only host (that would be dumb) they are
using.  It is in Pakistan.  Has anyone audited this campaign to see the
complexion of the web servers used to service this campaign?

Below is the registration and the data from a representative message
received (of many).

OrgName:    Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID:      APNIC
Address:    PO Box 2131
City:       Milton
StateProv:  QLD
PostalCode: 4064
Country:    AU

ReferralServer: whois://whois.apnic.net

NetRange:   202.0.0.0 - 203.255.255.255
CIDR:       202.0.0.0/7
NetName:    APNIC-CIDR-BLK
NetHandle:  NET-202-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType:    Allocated to APNIC
NameServer: NS1.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS3.APNIC.NET
NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET
NameServer: NS.RIPE.NET
NameServer: DNS1.TELSTRA.NET
Comment:    This IP address range is not registered in the ARIN database.
Comment:    For details, refer to the APNIC Whois Database via
Comment:    WHOIS.APNIC.NET or http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois2.pl
Comment:    ** IMPORTANT NOTE: APNIC is the Regional Internet Registry
Comment:    for the Asia Pacific region. APNIC does not operate networks
Comment:    using this IP address range and is not able to investigate
Comment:    spam or abuse reports relating to these addresses. For more
Comment:    help, refer to http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/abuse
Comment:
RegDate:    1994-04-05
Updated:    2004-01-21

OrgTechHandle: AWC12-ARIN
OrgTechName:   APNIC Whois Contact
OrgTechPhone:  +61 7 3858 3100
OrgTechEmail:  search-apnic-not-arin at apnic.net

whois -h whois.apnic.net 202.63.206.88
% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum:      202.63.192.0 - 202.63.223.255
netname:      CUBEXS
descr:        CubeXS Private Lmited
descr:        Internet Service Provider
descr:        Data Entry
descr:        Software House
descr:        310-311 Kassam Court
descr:        B.C. 9, Block 5, Clifton
descr:        Karachi, Pakistan
country:      PK
admin-c:      AR22-AP
tech-c:       AR22-AP
remarks:      aly at cubexs.net.pk
mnt-by:       MAINT-PK-CUBEXS
changed:      hostamster at apnic.net 20000306
status:       ALLOCATED PORTABLE
source:       APNIC

person:       Aly Ramzan
address:      CubeXS Private Limited
address:      310-311, Kassam Court, B.C.9,
address:      Block 5, Clifton,
address:      Karachi, Pakistan
country:      PK
phone:        +9221-5877946
fax-no:       +9221-5877950
e-mail:       aly at cubexs.net.pk
nic-hdl:      AR22-AP
mnt-by:       MAINT-NEW
changed:      aly at cubexs.net.pk 20000105
source:       APNIC

This is the full HTML content of a representative message:

<head>
</head>
To whom it may concern;
and Local Governments your account has been denied insurance from the
Federal<br>
  Deposit Insurance Corporation due to suspected violations of the Patriot
Act. While we have only a limited amount of evidence gathered on your
account at<br>
  this time it is enough to suspect that currency violations may have
occurred in your account and due to this activity we have withdrawn Federal
Deposit<br>
  Insurance on your account until we verify that your account has not been
used in a violation of the Patriot Act.</p>
advised the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to suspend all deposit
insurance on<br>
  your account until such time as we can verify your identity and your
account information.</p>
checked against a federal government database for identity verification.
This only takes<br>
  up to a minute and when we have verified your identity you will be
notified of said verification and all suspensions of insurance on your
account will be<br>
  lifted.<br>
  <a
href="http://www.fdic.gov@202.63.206.88/index.htm">http://www.fdic.gov/idve
rify/cgi-bin/index.htm</a>
to be terminated and all records of your account history will be sent to
the<br>
  Federal Bureau of Investigation in Washington D.C. for analysis and
verification. Failure to provide proper identity may also result in a visit
from Local,<br>
  State or Federal Government or Homeland Security Officials.</p>

Sanitized header data:  (source data retained)