[Dshield] SCV fundamentally flawed (was: .. appealing for ISP commonsense)

Erik van Straten emvs.dsh.3FB4CC72 at cpo.tn.tudelft.nl
Sat Jan 24 15:58:51 GMT 2004

Hi Tony, Wietse, List,

Tony, your response is much appreciated! However, we seem to disagree.

Wietse, this is FYI, it is not my intention to drag you into this.
The reason for me to trashcannize SCV is that some people may believe
it is an alternative to blocking egress 25/tcp, as I propose here:
http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/list/2004-January/014129.php

Which, IMO is an ON-topic discussion on DShield, independent of any
MTA. My SCV rant is here (click Next message for Tony's post):
http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/list/2004-January/014165.php
I'll respect the DShield moderator if _this_ message is not posted.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:05:16 +0100 Tony Earnshaw, regarding SCV:
> Patent number, please! Both Postfix 2.0 snapshot (limited IBM open
> source license) and Exim 4 (GPL) would seem to be infringing it.

I did my homework. I have read US_PATENT_6321267 from the 20031231
Postfix snapshot, where Wietse Venema points out why he believes he
is not infringing it.

I do deeply respect Wietse, and I'm proud to be a country-man. I'm even
using Postfix, and I love it (Exim is a comparable, highly valued MTA).
However, IMHO, this is one of the very few cases where Wietse is wrong
(and a lot of other good people who support the SCV idea). Note that I
*do* see good reasons for using Recipient Address Verification [OT].
(Wietse will understand when he sees the spambounce below).

> > ==> SCV is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED when intended to combat spam.
> >
> > All spammers who are currently not yet spoofing existing email
> > addresses, will immediately start doing so.
> This is an awfully sweeping assertion. "Everything is either white or
> black".

Which, likewise, can be said about your "argument". Again, please
read the page where I explain the site-Joe-job I'm confronted with:
http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/list/2004-January/013937.php

I'll provide you with one black world example. Some spammers are using
random 3-7 char names. They do hit accounts on my MTA; not just mine.
My users do complain. I'm looking for feasable solutions. As Johannes
pointed out, there will not be a solution that doesn't break anything:
http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/list/2004-January/014173.php

Regards,
Erik van Straten
CPO Sysadmin, Physics dept.
Delft University of Technology

I humbly apologize for forwarding spam (actually a bounce)