[Dshield] ISP's not blocking egress 25/tcp

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Mon Jan 26 05:07:30 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 12:55, Rick Klinge wrote:
> I too would be interested in any work arounds for this... Mainly because we
> require AUTH to control unwanted relaying from spammers.

Why not use SSH? Instead of opening POP-3 & SMTP you open a single TCP
port to the SSH server and do something like:

ssh -c blowfish user at shell.fubar.org -L 110:192.168.1.5:110 -L
25:192.168.1.5:25

Where "shell" is the SSH server and 192.168.1.5 is the mail server. If
you are on Windows, there are plenty of SSH implementations that have
clicky menus with pretty colors to do the same thing as the above CLI
command. ;-)

Now the user just configs their mail client to look for the POP-3 and
SMTP server at "localhost". Nice thing about this setup is they can use
it inside and outside of the office so no need to keep changing the
setup.

HTH,