[Dshield] SPF

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Mon Jan 26 14:08:54 GMT 2004

> I'm interesting in using it. Anyone any experience with SPF?

Well, I just set it up yesterday for some of my domains (including
dshield.org). Seeing that AOL may be using it gives this system
a lot of weight.

AFAIKT, there are two part to SPF:

You have to add appropriate TXT records to your domain.
spf.pobox.com has some tools to help with that. This will
allow others to check which mail servers should send mail
for your domain. I can see situations where this will not
work well (e.g. "road warriors" sending mail using a random
mail server they can get access to while traveling)

The other part is the receiving side. I don't think it makes
sense to absolutely filter based on SPF info. However, in a
system like spam assassin, you should be able to add a couple
spam points to all email that fails the test.

Now I just need to figure out how to implement SPF in spamassassin

phone: (617) 837 2807                          jullrich at sans.org