[Dshield] spybot blocks Microsoft Technet URL

Guy Barnum GuyBarnum at Armscole.com
Mon Jan 26 19:53:18 GMT 2004

Forgive me if this is off content for the list but I first heard about spybot search & destroy on this list and wanted to share this with you guys.

After installing the bad download blocker in spybot I was on a Microsoft Technet web page signing up for a Technet security briefing.  I clicked on the link to bring up a map (generated from Microsoft mappoint site) and get two warning pop ups from spybot having successfully blocked the download of spy/adware.  In making sure I had the right URL to forward this on to M$ I verified there are two hits every time this web page is loaded.

Does anyone else see the humor(?) in a Technet security briefing web page referencing a M$ web site which attempts to load malware on your system?  Or has this Monday just gone too long for me?

For the email I sent M$ from their Technet online 'contact us - requests comments and feedback' form and the 'bad' URL, see the message at the bottom of this post.

P.S. I'll let you know if I get a reply,

Guy

To Microsoft:  In signing up for one of the next Technet briefings I found your new popgram web tool.  It looks good but I did experience one problem, well two really.

This web page has a mappoint link for directions to the seminar.  After clicking on this link and loading the msn mappoint web site, I receive two notices from spybot search & destroy blocking spyware or adware attempting to load on my system.

While this may be standard practice on an MSN web page it may be a very bad practice directing the type of people signing up for Microsoft technical briefings to a Microsoft web site attempting to load some form of malware on their system.

Below you will find the offending URL.

http://mappoint.msn.com/(jgsteg554gegzbryym1ybk2i)/map.aspx?L=USA&C=42%2E677285%2C%2D84%2E567592&A=50.0&P=|42%2E677285%2C%2D84%2E567592|1|6820%20South%20Cedar%20Street%2C%20Lansing%2C%20MI%2048911|L1|