[Dshield] It didn't take long!

mokum dshield at meij.net
Tue Jan 27 13:26:09 GMT 2004

David Hart wrote:

>I have a new static IP that, supposedly, has not been used for some
>period of time. Within one hour of activation, I'm seeing the usual
>array of pop-up and hack attempts.

Do not flatter yourself [or your ip address]: 99.99 procent of what you
will ever see on 'your' ip address is not directed at -you- but just at
an address of a  'randomly' generated ip range. You are not telling me
that you actually thought that an 'not been used' ip address is not
being addressed by all those lame worms and scanners, now are you?

It is most likely that if you ever see something in your fw logs that is
directed at -you- it is because you made a mistake in your fw config and
you are not allowing trafic back in that you requested in the first place ;)

Cheers,
mokum