[Dshield] Increase in scanning activity coincident with release of Novarg?

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 17:55:15 GMT 2004

John,

Correct me if I'm wrong but the worm's vector is mass-mailing...therefore as the number of infected host rises, the amount of viral dandruff floating around the GIG ought to spike as well.

Good bit of traffic analysis there.

If I may respectfully suggest, had you noticed this right away, it would have given us a one-hour headstart on the worm (no fault implied).

Do you suppose you might be able to set in place some kind of threshhold (e.g. "increase of x% over time period y") which would alert you (or anyone using a tarpit) that anomalous activity was occurring?

Not trying to saddle you with more work...just thinking out loud :)

Regards,

Pete

John Hardin <johnh at aproposretail.com> wrote:
All:

I just checked my email quarantine and tarpit graphs this morning and
there's an interesting correlation: tarpitted traffic here increased
quite a bit almost exactly one hour after the first instances of Novarg
attacks started coming through, and has been steadily high since.

It appears to be primarily 1433/tcp traffic.

Can anyone else confirm this? Anybody think it means anything?

http://boundary.aproposretail.com/~johnh/quarantine.html
http://boundary.aproposretail.com/~johnh/tarpit.html

--
John Hardin KA7OHZ
Internal Systems Administrator/Guru voice: (425) 672-1304