[Dshield] Cyber Shakedown Anticipated this Weekend

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 23:41:36 GMT 2004

All,

for those who don't follow the radio program Marketplace on Public Radio
International (PRI), Steven Beard, the Marketplace UK correspondent
reported in a segment today that in a runup to the Super Bowl a "digital
shakedown" may be in the offing this weekend of the many offshore
(relative to the U.S.)  online gaming sites. He also reported at least
one case where the victim, somewhere in Europe I believe, refused to pay
up and then got knocked offline (my presumption is a DOS attack)  for a
period of time which resulted in an estimated economic loss greater than
the cost of the extortion payment.

PRI's competitor, National Public Radio,  also has a good segment by
Larry Abrahamson on Mydoom that emphasizes the social engineering aspect
and also discusses the convergence of spam &  virus software.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International