[Dshield] Secure Data Removal

Maarten dshield.org at plekje.net
Fri Jun 4 14:33:57 GMT 2004

Because of residual traces of magnetism. These can be used to recreate the
old data. The same happesn when you tape a piece of music and overwite it
with a new piece of music. Very softly the old music may be heard (unless
you tape heavy metal the second time ;-).

The NSA has come up with a method to whipe magnetic media clean and consist
of overwriting the content with 7 different sets of 'data' before the tape
is considered to be erased (safely).

Met vriendelijke groet,
Maarten