[Dshield] Secure Data Removal

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Fri Jun 4 14:50:42 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 09:33, Maarten wrote:
> The NSA has come up with a method to whipe magnetic media clean and consist
> of overwriting the content with 7 different sets of 'data' before the tape
> is considered to be erased (safely).

As far as I remember, the NSA pattern didn't take various encoding
formats into account. That's where Peter Gutman continued.
See: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

Of course, this may be less of an issue with today's IDE drives. But
still.... better safe than sorry.

(BTW: Does anyone know what encoding format IS used in modern IDE
drives? Still RLL?)

Regards,
Frank