[Dshield] Eavesdropping

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Fri Jun 4 16:08:42 GMT 2004

David Klotz wrote:

> Since the list is so slow right now, I'll take this opportunity to ask a
> question:  Has anyone ever heard of somebody successfully eavesdropping on a
> validly established HTTPS connection?

Yes, it can be done. It is relatively easy to do by exploiting the fact that IE does not check the basic constraints of a cert, so if you have a valid cert, you can sign a cert claiming to be anyone and IE is fat dumb and happy about it.

Anyone with slightly more skill than the average script kiddie, minimal knowledge of SSL, and a valid cert signed by a root authority, can take any of the MITM programs (such as hunt or juggernaut) and tweak them to perform just such an attack.

Jon
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer