[Dshield] MAC Address Security

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Sun Jun 6 18:05:24 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 12:39, David Cary Hart wrote:
> I cannot get WEP to work properly in FC2 so I'm restricting wireless
> access by MAC. Is there anything that I need to do to prevent MAC
> addresses from being broadcast or viewable?

No. nothing you can do against broadcasting the MAC. Its part of
every single ethernet frame, and required for it.

However, if someone is stealing your MAC address, you are bound to
know rather quickly, as packets will go astray and connections will
fail. If you are using a system like 'nocat' to login to your
wireless network, setup a reasonably short refresh time. If someone
steals your MAC, the login refresh is likely going ot fail.

Johannes Ullrich                     jullrich at euclidian.com
contact: http://johannes.homepc.org/contact.htm
There are two kinds of system administrators:
The first kind solves problems with little shell scripts.
The second kind are the problem.