[Dshield] WireLess Home Config ?

ed.truitt@etee2k.net ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Mon Jun 7 20:16:41 GMT 2004

Quoting "Johannes B. Ullrich" <jullrich at sans.org>:

> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 13:58, Bert Sinclair wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would like to connect my three PCs to our Internet connection
> > (Cable).
> > To do so, what will I need to connect my three PCs to the
> > Internet?
>
> I will try and keep my answer "on topic" and focus on the security
> aspects. The easiest way to share a broadband connection is to
> get a wireless router. There are plenty of different manufacturers.
> Plan on spending about $100 for the router, and maybe $50 for each
> wireless network card. (there may be bargains available at a significant
> lower price).

[snip]

I would suggest that, unless you plan on using the wireless capabilities, and
have some knowledge of what you are doing, that you consider a regular router,
along with switch (or hub) to connect the PCs.  If your PCs are located such
that they can be connected to a "wired" switch or hub, this is certainly
simpler, and also it is more "secure by default".

Wireless is a wonderful and convenient thing, but I am not sure it should be the
first thing people consider.  For example, if you have a cordless phone,
microwave oven, or other "Part 15" device that operates in the 2.4 GHz part of
the radio spectrum, you will likely have interference problems with a WAP (I
do, all the time.)  Add to that the potential for interference from other WAPs
(I am in an apartment complex, and my neighbor decided to hook up a WAP "just
for fun" -- and my son's PC happily connected to it, as the "strongest
signal"), and the documented security concerns with these devices...

Regards,
-EdT.