[Dshield] SMTP Failure

Meidinger Chris chris.meidinger at badenit.de
Sun Jun 20 16:18:01 GMT 2004

 Hi Glenn,

I can imagine your frustration. If I was in your situation, I would use a
packet sniffer (such as ethereal from www.ethereal.com) between the router
and the mail server to capture that traffic, then capture a session from
your PC to the mail server. Comparing these traffic flows may provide a
clue.

It is possible that your ISP is filtering based on SMTP behavior to avoid
spam; I am not intimately familiar with qmail, but in postfix for example,
on can easily demand properly spoken SMTP. Many spambots don't speak proper
SMTP, and so this is intended to kick their mails out. Perhaps your router
is skipping a command, or something of that nature.

The only real way to analyze it, would be to insert a packet sniffer between
router and server, and see exactly what happens.
If you need help doing this, feel free to contact me directly,

Cheers,

Chris Meidinger