[Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of networkoutages -- DSHIELD next?

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Thu Jun 24 22:09:58 GMT 2004

Michael Thayer wrote:

> A little over the top aren't we?  They have a good point, and the group
> they want to report too would include all those who would need to know
> about them to do their jobs to improve reliability.

As I read it, under this proposal, access to such information would be
restricted to (approximately) the big backbone providers. When an outage
occurs that effects routing on small ISPs and hosting services, they
may not be able to find out what the problem is and and its ETR. This
could leave them without the ability to inform their customers when
services are restored.

No, I don't think I am over the top. The open discussion of network
security has become increasingly limited over the past few years. DMCA
and its variants has already been used to squelch security research,
deployment of security tools, and the discussion of security
vulnerabilities. Some Federal prosecutors even have the opinion that
security admins who run IDSes, honeypots, network sniffers, stateful
firewalls, and other tools that monitor network traffic are probably
in violation of Federal wiretap statutes (i.e., most DShielders, in
the opinion of some Federal prosecutors, daily perpetrate felony acts.)

IMHO, this is just one more restriction that does not serve the best
interests of network operators.

Jon Kibler
--
Jon R. Kibler